Thursday, March 14, 2013

Murder Mystery

Sorry it's been a while since I've posted anything! Life kind of blew up for me this past month. You all know about my Writing Excuses Retreat win, but that very same week my hubby was offered a job that he accepted. Which means this month was spent packing and cleaning so that we could put our house on the market so that we can move out of state. I haven't had any time to get on the computer, much less write...mostly. Anyway, long story short, the house is for sale and it looks good enough I don't have to spend EVERY free second making it look better. :)

I have written four flash pieces this past month that I haven't posted, so here's the first one. It was for Flash! Friday over at Rebekah Postupak's blog. It's a great flash fiction site if you're looking to jump in and join us! The prompts change each week, so you never know what's coming. In addition to the Friday prompt, she also has a critique piece on one of the non-winning entries and an interview with the overall winner that week. Super fun!

This piece was written for Feb 15th's competition. That week was a 150-400 word murder mystery story based on your choice of both a weapon and location.

weapons

Locations

 I chose the poisoned wine and the staircase. It came in at 398 words. Enjoy! :)

By the way, this was one of my first attempts at 3rd person omniscient viewpoint...I'm not sure it came out right, but it was fun! It was way longer and I had to cut a lot out to fit the word count...




The poison took time to increase in potency to the point where it would kill. That made it untraceable. It was placed in the wine and left to age. It would be opened tonight.

They were drinking out of custom goblets. The glass cup was ensconced within intricate iron filigree. Each was unique: a dragon, a fox, a ram, a bull, a stag, a snake, and an eagle.

The goblets were left alone in the kitchen, full and awaiting service, for too long.  It needed only a moment to place the poison. The deed was done.

The girl, unknowing, carried the tray into the dining room, placed it on the buffet, curtsied, and withdrew. The conversation stopped as each eyed the goblets with knowing looks.

“Splendid!” Gordon stood and waved his arms toward the drinks, “Grab a goblet and we shall discuss business particulars upstairs.”

His six guests filed over and picked one seemingly at random.

“Look here!” exclaimed Tidus, “I do believe this is a bull! Beautiful work.”

The rest raised their goblets to see the animal on their own. Michael said in disgust, “I’ll not have a stag! Give me the bull!” And he yanked the goblet out of Tidus’ hand and replaced it with the stag.

Marcus laughed, “I don’t know how I ended up with the snake, but that seems more befitting your character, Caius.” He held it out with a quirk of his eyebrow.

Caius smirked, inclined his head, and exchanged his own ram.

“And if there is anyone quite so cunning as a fox it’s Bartholomew. This cup was made for you.” Peter raised his eyebrows and pursed his lips as he waited to see whether Bartholomew would take it.

Bartholomew squinted his eyes at Peter for a moment before reaching for the fox. He held it up and examined it before handing his own dragon to Peter.

“Oh my!” Peter continued, “And this is a dragon! Surely this belongs to the master of the house!” He turned toward Gordon and smiled.

Gordon eyed his own eagle for a moment before relinquishing it with a small smile and a nod of his head. “Are we all thus arranged?” He didn’t wait for a reply, “To my partners in crime, may we grow stronger together.” They each raised their goblet and drank.

As they all ascended the spiral staircase, Michael fell down dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment